Thursday, February 1, 2018

HOW TO HELP YOUR KIDS EXCEL

All throughout time, the mother will always be the first one to meddle with her kid's life. They would want their children to be at the top of everything definitely! One can notice this easily on the end of the school day when parents (that is, moms) group together and wait for their little darlings to come out of the class. Topics will always be what they were doing right before they went to pick up their kid or a million topics where they make a hero out of their teenie babies. The story with a very simple topic will be unending as one after the other, mommies will be boasting on how her baby made it through.

Mothers like to give everything to their babies. They do as much as they could, in their best, to provide everything. Sometimes, this might even be misinterpreted by the others as spoon feeding, but this is just how mothers are.
 
courtesy of langleychildren.com
However, in education, the system has already revolved. If you noticed, there is some time allotted to individual work. As the government already addressed the issue of homework over the weekend for children to relax after the long 5-day stressful week, schools also started training the children to work on their own. School heads add to their faculty meetings to let the parents understand that they are to help the students with their homework by just guiding them on what to do and not to do the task for their kids.

With this new system, it is just limiting the influence of the parents on the child’s learning, however, parents could still work on helping their kids.

Be an example. Just like what the popular quote says, “Action speaks louder than words” it is best to show your children on how you handle your own tasks. With my two part-time jobs, I usually make every minute worth spending over things which could help me and my kids. I keep on reminding them to prioritize things. I allow them to do whatever they like, weekdays or weekends, they can still watch TV, check videos and chat with friends, however, they have to make sure that they have finished their school tasks and studied. It is all on how they discipline themselves. They should know on when they got enough and when they need to stop. So, when they did something more than they can handle, all I get to say is, "I told you so."
 
courtesy of Huffington Post


Be resourceful. Employed in the education industry, I would always need to update myself about those things I teach in my classes. I do research and check on different ways on how to have better or faster results.  Living in a very stuffy small house, my children witness all these methods I do at home. I remembered my niece and nephew (now grade 9 and college) borrowed textbooks in history for their classes but I never saw my daughter (grade 11) looked for or used the book. I wondered and asked her, then she just answered, “I don’t need the book anymore, I searched over the net and got so much information and even the summary of the story. That's all I needed.”

courtesy of felesteen.ps
Think outside the box. This is something that you should let your children understand. Although you are not there to help on their tasks, you can guide them on how to start their projects or writings. I never got satisfied or happy submitting a 2-D poster when I can work on making it a 3-D. As long as I abide by the rules given to me. That is why I always make sure that the rules are clear. Whenever I get to talk about working on projects or competition exhibits, I tell my kids that they should think about something unique. First, they think about a project and then analyze on how many of their classmates think the same. If they think that even one of their peers has the same idea, then scrap it out and move to a better one. My children are not yet experts on their works and I see much improvement to be done but I think they already are on the right track on how to brainstorm.

Be confident. I was a working student in college and was fortunate enough to join a seminar about quality living. After the seminar the company of hundreds of employees planned the anniversary party making me and my fellow scholar the emcees. There is no reason or excuse to shy out or give excuses because one quality discussed was to be proactive. Proactive means thinking it through at the lighter side. This principle I always teach my kids. Once in second grade, on their Christmas party, my daughter wanted the prizes so much but too shy to join the games. I told her in a big harsh voice that it is impossible for her to have any of the prizes without winning any contest. Amazingly that worked. From that time on until now, my girls are confident enough with what they do. They get invited impromptu to be part of church readers or go on stage and give speeches, they go voluntarily.

It is not bad to make our babies feel like babies, but it would be better to train them be better more successful persons than we are now. My kids are moving to their tertiary education so my story is yet to be unfolded. Perhaps when they are truly successful after a few years, then I can let everyone know of my Effective Methods of Training my Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HYDROLOGY: GROUNDWATER YIELD AND QUALITY

courtesy of Water Education Foundation Aquifers are important sources of fresh water. Two types of aquifers - confined and unconfined...